a collection of vegan recipes

---

rawktober: day twelve

,,On the twelfth day of rawktober, my true love gave to me..''
     Just kidding, I don't have a true love. Wait, that's a lie, I do. It's food. So, I guess, my true love gave me satiety. (....Am I a nerd?)  Today I'm posting a recipe for raw vegan carrot cake. I've been wanting to make one for ages, so here's my first go (and there will certainly be plenty more attempts to perfect it to come!)
Serves ten, generously

90g baby carrots
2 apples, peeled

1 cup walnuts
4 dates, pitted
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp cinnamon and ground ginger
nutmeg and cardamom to taste
handful raisins (optional - I like it with lots of 'em)

1 cup cashews and/or macadamia nuts, pre-soaked 2 hours
2 tbsp honey
juice of 1 lemon
pinch of vanilla

In your food processor, pulse carrots and apples until thinly chopped. Set aside, reserving approx. 1/2 cup of the mixture. Next, combine the walnuts, date, maple syrup, shredded coconut and spices in the food processor. Add in the apple/carrot mixture and pulse until a dough forms. Fold in the remaining apple/carrot mixture (and the raisins) for texture. Set aside.

Clean you food processor. Combine the icing ingredients and pulse until desired texture (add some nut milk if too thick). 

To assemble, pat about half of the dough mixture into a pan. Smother with icing and top with the remaining carrot dough. Place in the freezer for 4 hours to allow it to firm up, then transfer to the refrigerator until ready to serve. When the time comes, dunk it out onto an elegant plate and coat with more icing, coconut shreds and some lemon rind. Devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment